Thread: shunt problems
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi jenna.
every test possible was done on me, i spent 10 days in hospital having all tests done.
Ultrasound
MRI on my belly
Shunt reservior tap to test for infection
Abdominal Tap to test for infection
CT to see the brain side was fine
Shunt series to see that everything was connected

Before these tests they were contemplating on there being either an infection, pseudocysts forming, irritation from the distal end.
from these the only things that were noted was excess fluid in my peritoneum.
And also an ovarian cyst, therefore nothing could be done for 4 weeks until i had another ultrasound to see if the ovarian cyst was still there, which is wasnt but i was still gettin pain everyday, ever since the actual night that my distal end was moved further down.

Also they were thinking it could be scar tissue and adhesions as you mentioned, but removing them could also lead to them coming back as they are caused when the stomach is operated on. which is silly really.

My doctors and professors all said that the shunt may be a 'red herring' and seems like its not the cause of the pain, but i darent mention all these posts i seen with exact problems, as they would think ive read into too much.

but luckily they offered me the choice of having a VA shunt converted from my VP, so any problem down there should disappear if its to do with the shunt.

good luck x
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote