View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazelle
Maybe clippers would work, but I don't quite know how to get him used to them before I attack his coat. <sigh>
How I get my animals used to things, clippers, the nail clippers, brushes, etc...

Day 1 - Put the gadet on the floor - off, if it turns on - in front of pet. Pet the pet, tell him how good he is, give him a treat, the closer he gets to the tool, the better he is.

Repeat until he's just treat seeking.

Then he has to let you just touch him with it - still off - for a treat and some loving.

Then, away from pet (he's on one side of you, the tool is on the other) turn it on, let him hear the sound for a few seconds until he just ignores it and looks for the rewards.

Do that a few days until you can get him to just let it near enough to touch him.

When you can bring the tool out and he just lays down, go ahead and try a little clip (not whole body, not worst problem area, just a couple seconds). Reward if he does okay.

If he struggles, do not let him go, hold him there and clip (or what ever) until you get him to resign to it. If you let him go, you lose. He will always see it as a battle. If you keep him till he relaxes and you let go, you win and he will become more and more comfortable with this every time.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's more work to fight with them every time. Often this process only take 3-4 days, but it can take a couple weeks or more with the really stubborn ones and ones you train once they're older.
Doody (01-03-2009), ewizabeth (01-02-2009), Gazelle (01-02-2009), Lara (01-02-2009)