View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdrea83 View Post
I've had like over 20 blocks, the ones i had for my left arm never worked, i think i had them too far after i initially got hurt... when i broke my foot i had a few lumbar blocks right away and they did help with my swelling and keep the pain from getting super intense... and when i started to spread to my right arm i got them right away for that too... just cuz i knew they needed to be done like asap. its pretty much a hit or miss i think with blocks... they've never gotten rid of my pain or other symptoms... just kinda kept them from getting super bad when done early enough.
Yeah.......HOLY COW.......SOMETHING they put in my IV (apparently AFTER they put the "chilling out" meds in) caused my hand to BURN like a MF (I believe I woke up and used that term as it went in). THAT was honestly the worst part of it. It woke me up out of my nice mellow state and felt like they had just injected hot burning acid into my hand. Anyone else had that??? Hubby said I looked like I had a severe sunburn when I woke up......ALL over my entire chest and tummy. The Benadryl worked and I didn't have to take more.

So......the morning after my block.....I am doing ok. The swelling has subsided, I won't know until I hop in the shower as to whether the color changes are still there (I'm assuming they are.....ankle turned BLUE last night). The allodynia seems a bit better.....it's mostly on my toes now (MAN, I wish those pesky ants would quit gnawing away at them). I can, at least, touch my foot and it just feels numb, not like glass is being rubbed into it (although that symptom has been coming and going over the past week anyway). I have a hair appointment this morning......will have to do a lot of sitting. THAT should be the test.....letting my foot dangle. If it swells (like it usually does when I'm upright), I will assume there has not been a lot of improvement. We shall see....

I tried to switch my mood to "optimistic". I thought there was one that said that. Apparently not. I chose "fine" since I was "buzzed" last night (one glass of lovely Cabernet) and "hungover" is not applicable. They SHOULD have an "optimistic" mood. We deserve at least to feel that, right???

You're all correct......at this point, I should be looking for ANY improvement for ANY of the symptoms....not expecting a sudden "cure". I should know well enough to just lower my standards and then I'm not as disappointed when good things don't happen!!

I have a friend who always quoted two things (I used to think of her as "cynical".....by golly, there's a button for that one here!!......I've found a lot of truth in these statements in the past decade). One is:

"The best way to avoid death is to avoid life".
The other (with my personal twist on it):
"Trust no one".

I chuckle as I write these. I try not to take things too seriously. While there may be truth in both statements, it is not a great way to live, and I have found myself more and more alone in life adhering to them. I choose to be "fine" today since optimism is not available at the moment!!
I'm off to get my hair done now so I can look PRETTY lying in the bed for the rest of the day!!

Best wishes to all for a pain-managed day!!!
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote