View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb There are TWO

commercial sources now for d-chiro inositol.

Chiral Balance
DCI Chiro

They are both expensive. (about $100 a month)

I have just started on a 3 month trial to see what this can do
for my elevated fasting insulin.

DCI has shown in animal models, and now humans that it can lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation of blood vessels,
lower testosterone in females, reduce insulin levels by up to 1/2 and improve glucose utilization.

example:
Quote:
Int J Exp Diabetes Res. 2002;3(1):47-60.Click here to read Links
D-chiro-inositol--its functional role in insulin action and its deficit in insulin resistance.
Larner J.

Department of Pharmacology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville 22908, USA. jlarner@insmed.com

In this review we discuss the biological significance of D-chiro-inositol, originally discovered as a component of a putative mediator of intracellular insulin action, where as a putative mediator, it accelerates the dephosphorylation of glycogen synthase and pyruvate dehydrogenase, rate limiting enzymes of non-oxidative and oxidative glucose disposal. Early studies demonstrated a linear relationship between its decreased urinary excretion and the degree of insulin resistance present. When tissue contents, including muscle, of type 2 diabetic subjects were assayed, they demonstrated a more general body deficiency. Administration of D-chiro-inositol to diabetic rats, Rhesus monkeys and now to humans accelerated glucose disposal and sensitized insulin action. A defect in vivo in the epimerization of myo-inositol to chiro-inositol in insulin sensitive tissues of the GK type 2 diabetic rat has been elucidated. Thus, administered D-chiro-inositol may act to bypass a defective normal epimerization of myo-inositol to D-chiro-inositol associated with insulin resistance and act to at least partially restore insulin sensitivity and glucose disposal.

PMID: 11900279 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PMCID: PMC2478565
This is a natural substance that our bodies' use and make, and it is thought at some people genetically fail in this regard.
Insulin resistance and PCOS are considered genetic by many doctors. So since I had PCOS when I was younger, I thought this would be a good test for me.

So yes, now you can buy it. But it remains very expensive at this time. (Other things were like this too, SAMe, benfotiamine and CoQ-10. So perhaps with time, this supplement will become more affordable as well).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-04-2009), dorrie (01-04-2009)