View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree Laura,
I would never have had a *good* MRI, if I couldn't have the GAD dye used for MRI's. It is different, shows more clearer images and if a lesion is active it will glow. As in a bright spot.
In case you wanted to know, just some odd facts FWIW.
The reason it glows is because when a lesion is active it is surrounded by fluid. The fluids rush to try to protect the nerve, as a blister protects a burned finger. This fluid is now inflammatory. Like the harmful, yet protective, fluid in an Arthritis knee.

Steroids reduce the fluid around the lesion, it can be seen on MRI after steroids, that the lesion is smaller. This may help it heal faster. Some think the fluid should not be reduced too quickly, as it protects and aids in healing. Others think it is injuring the nerve more when left alone. The jury is still out on that one.

It works just like a Steroid shot, Epidural, Caudal or Steroid Cocktail shot, to the neck, back, buttocks, shoulder or arm might do. It reduces fluid and inflammation to give the body part a chance to heal.

That's why I am glad MRI's use GAD dye and not shellfish Iodine, like CT scans do. You can have MRI's and CT's without dyes. A real good radioligist can read it the same.

Myelogram uses an okay dye too, which you can go right in to a CT Scan machine after it, and it works the same as CT dye or better.
Lady (rambling on again)
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (01-05-2009), TwoKidsTwoCats (01-05-2009)