Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
Shin splints Yabbit.

You need to warm up and do some stretching before walking on the treadmill for any length of time.

What can happen is the shin muscle is tight and pulls away from the shin bone.

To warm up, just walk for a minute or two, to get the blood flowing. Stop. Then do some light stretches. I can PM you specifics if you need them. Then back and do yoru walking. Start flat and gradually work up the incline. (over days, weeks)

You need to give the shins a rest. Cold or cool packs if you notice any swelling. Otheriwse a nice warm bath with epson salt. Don't get back on the treadmill until all soreness is gone.

Ok..Personal Trainer Monkey off her soapbox.
Thanks my personal monkey trainer!

I do some warm ups before getting on - I have been walking on the treadmill for about 6 months now - it didn't seem like a shin splint to me, this was just in one spot and only lasted a second each time it did it. It felt like the "needle prickles" that I get but it was so much stronger!

But, then again I am not expert on the issue. Thanks and I would enjoy seeing what you have for stretches - maybe I am not doing what I need??

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be NO courage unless you're scared.
yeahbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote