View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
Are they actually called cranberry beans??
I thought cranberry were a fruit , but I guess it would spout as most seeds /beans need to do to make a new plant...

Let us know what you find out.
I wonder what the sprouts will taste like.

oh, you might look on some raw food sites for info too..
These are INDEED Cranberry beans. I just two photos to show you. And when I go to sprouting websites, they look exactly like the beans that are sold for sprouting (or cooking, or whatever one does with beans).

And they are sprouting, splitting, etc.

My question is "what are they talking about when they say "you must shell before cooking"

What does an UNSHELLED CRANBERRY BEAN LOOK LIKE?

The ones in this Jack Rabbit Package, well the package does not indicate, "shelled or unshelled".

Oh, woe is me!!

lol

----------------------------------------
UPDATE, UPDATE. Melody is officially stupid!!! I just googled UNSHELLED CRANBERRY BEANS.

Take a look (peas in a pod).

http://flickr.com/photos/quintanaroo/1750191772/

so I gather my beans are unshelled, and I can sprout em, cook em up, do whatever I want to them, right?

Now here's another good question. I absolutely adore CRAISINS. Can't eat them because of the sugar and carb content, but I remember being at a party and they had a salad and I ate the salad (just a small bit), and I fell in love with the little dried cranberry thingees in the salad. I asked my niece "what the heck are these things, they are to die for" and she said 'oh, those are craisins".

I looked at the package in her cupboard and I immediately knew "not for me, not for anyone with diabetes", unless you put two or three in your salad.

so now I'm wondering, my sprouted cranberry beans (should be ready in one or two days), they'll have all the health benefits of sprouts, but they won't be dried and sugar laden like the craisins.

I read that you should NEVER put raw sprouted beans in a salad because the bean has some kind of natural toxin or something, but if you want to put them in a salad, you have to stir fry them for 60 seconds first. That is what I've been doing. Oh boy, do they taste great.

And since I'm alive and kicking, I gather I'm not getting any toxins in me.

I think I'll do the same thing with the cranberry beans.

Oh, the stuff one learns when one is 61 years old.

lol lol lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote