View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face Tos Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall0464 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with TOS. I had been having problems for years, but it took the doctors a while to figure it out. I went to physical therapy for a while with no results. A vascular surgeon that I have been going to told me yesterday that I have cervical (extra) ribs on each side, and I have to have them, as well as some muscle, removed. He said the surgeries for each side will be a month apart. I am getting a second opinion from a thoracic surgeon next week. I have been doing a lot of research since I found this out yesterday, and I have a lot of questions. It sounds like the surgery is a lot to go through, and since my TOS is not work related, I can't stop working and get worker's comp. One of my biggest questions is, how long can I expect to be out of work? I am an accountant, and I do a lot of typing. The Dr said that I would spend 3-5 days in the hospital for each surgery and that I should be on light duty (no lifting) for a couple of weeks after each surgery, but from what I have read, it sounds lery and I will be off for 3 months after the procedure with physical therapy.
From what I have read, I think I have vascular TOS because my major problem is numbness & tingling in my arms and hands. I wouldn't really call it pain, it's more like discomfort. It worsens at night, and I can not sleep without taking Ambien. I do have pain in my hands when I flex them (the scratching position), and my neck and shoulders are always tight. I don't have a good range of motion in my neck. When I was going to PT, they spent a lot of time massaging and working out knots in my neck. That was painful.

I would love to get rid of the problems and stop taking sleep meds, but I am wondering if it is worth it to get the surgery. I am a little scared from reading all the postings of the extreme pain and long recovery times.

Any advice would be helpful...:

Brandi
I have Tos as well and I was told that I will be off work until I have my surgery. My surgeon said I will be off work 3 months after surgery and will also be doing pt during that time. He said I would be in the hospital 2 to 5 days. My concern for you is that I don't understand why you could not turn this in to workers comp. Computer work and typing can cause this condition as well. I know you have a extra rib but your job is aggravating it. I fell at work last year and damaged my long thoracic nerve as well and now have TOS. I do office work and was told I could not work due to it being repetitive work.
I also have been doing allot of research and I'am very scared to have the surgery as well. I have been in constant pain for a year and have seen many Dr.'s along with several test. I feel your pain and understand what you are going through. My surgery is scheduled January 23 and I feel like I have no other choice than to do the surgery. I have tried pt twice which made it worse and I'm unable to do things I enjoy anymore. I have my hair license and I'm unable to do hair,I love to landscape and I'm unable to do that. I'm only 37 years old and have two children and feel terrible about putting my family through all this. I hope this can help with some of your questions!
Marcy
mfaber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote