View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
I totally agree with JennyH. I do belive your surgery recovery depends on what shape you are going into it. I had only been in bad shape for about a week and a half before my surgery (rib resection, removal of scar tissue and scalene muscle and a failed attempt at 'patching' the subclavian vein) so the recovery was pretty quick. I had to spend a week after surgery in the hospital to make sure the clot wasnt going to come back and they kept me pretty drudged up so its just a blur of a memory now. When I got home I took another week to just take it easy and heal and was back to work (in a limited capacity) two weeks after surgery. I would say it was at about a month that I started to feel good, at that time was able to start PT to regain strength too. And at two months after the surgery I was back to normal (or at least my new 'normal') which compaired to some others is really good.
I enjoy reading eveyones recovery. I'm very scared and have ups and downs about the surgery. My family doesn't seem to understand my pain or frustration since nothing looks broken on the outside. This is what is so hard. I'm having surgery on January 23, and I have been trying to prepare myself and family and I don't think they realize what they are in for. I have a high pain tolerance and have had other surgeries which were a breeze but I just know this will be different. I have been in severe pain with swelling so maybe I guess I will feel a little relief afterwards,IDK I guess wishful thinking.
Thanks! Marcy
mfaber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote