View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb yes, Dennis...

I'd switch over to a quality fish oil instead.

Most of the 6's in the mixtures is primrose or borage oil.
Check your label.

This type of 6 is ok for neuropathy. It is the basic omega-6 called linoleic acid that is the one to avoid in large amounts.
Linoleic acid is converted to the inflammatory PGE2s.

Flax oil supplies Omega-3...alpha linoleNic acid which goes to making PGE1s which are healthful.

Fish oil blocks the final steps to making the inflammatory PGE2s.

Primrose/Borage supplies GLA which is an intermediate Omega-6. There are studies suggesting primrose for neuropathies. They are mostly old studies.
The GLA works to send the Flax oil to its good target.
It also sends the linoleic acid to its inflammatory targets.

Here is an example of a good 3-6-9 ...
http://www.herbalremedies.com/superomega369.html

It is unclear how much linoleic acid (omega-6) is really in it.

So do this: Take only one of your 3-6-9. And add a quality fish oil to it...at least 3 a day. Take with food.

And here is another trivia factoid. Males to not convert Flax oil well to the long chain fatty acids EPA and DHA (which are in fish oil). Females DO convert well because they have babies, and the fetus has a huge demand for DHA for brain development. So males do not convert Flax efficiently and hence need more fish oil. If I remember it is about 4% for males and around 23% for females.

I'd also eat the new "smart foods"...
Smart Balance peanut butter.
Smart Balance spreads (butter substitute)
Smart Balance Mayo
Omega-3 eggs (Eggland's best etc).
There are some yogurts and cheeses coming onto the market now too.
Some Kraft salad dressings have canola in them now.
You can make your own with flax oil --which tastes really good.
Good Season's makes powders that you mix with your own
vinegar and oil. We did this when my son was getting off his Ritalin and we were using Flax heavily. This fixed his ADHD and acne, and was the basic event that brought me to this subject and the net in general!
Some chips are made with canola now.
You get the idea. It is much easier today to do the dietary balancing of essential fats, than it was when I began over a decade ago.

Take the oils with food. They are better absorbed that way.
And there are now enteric coated fish oils, which we use, that are at Costco and SAMs club, and on the net too. This minimizes "fish burps". Keep all the oils in the frig for storage.
I leave about 20-30 doses out on the counter for daily use. All the back ups are in the frig.

Costco has a coupon book out this month for NatureMade vits...$3.50 off each with no limit. I just got our Flax oil for the next year this way. Many of the drug chains have BuyOne get One free on their NatureMade also. So watch the circulars.

The ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 should ideally be 1:1 up to 1:5. The average American has a ratio of 1:25. This is why we see so many inflammatory conditions plaguing us.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote