View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberowendy2000 View Post
Since it is new it would probably be expensive. So if you are without insurance, I would go to generic Neurontin (gabapentin). It is a sister drug of Lyrica and does the same thing as Lyrica.
Lyrica is a more consentrated version on Neurontin, so that it is longer lasting. But if you have been on Neurontin in the past, the same side effects apply.
Weight gain is a major side effect. I gained 50 pounds on Neurontin. Now that I have been off it for about 2 years I still have tons to loose. I'm working on it though.
Good luck to those willing to try it.

Although they are similar, neurontin and lyrica are not at all the same med. It's worth trying both if you can.

I used both. I could not even toletare neurontin. Even at 300-400 mgs I felt so foggy I could barely walk and could not feel my skin. And I rarely have bad reactions to meds. It did not help any symptoms, pain or other wise, and I was so tired I did not know what was going on.

I only used it for a couple months, so I cannot say if weight gain would have been an issue for me.

I tried lyrica and it really helped the pain, plus for the first few weeks I had all sorts of energy. Completely the opposite of N.

Go figure.

I was taking 75 mgs 3x a day which is a low/moderate dose. I bumped up to 150mgs 2x, then 3 x a day. At 3x, it stopped working and I started swelling at the hands and feet.

I wonder, looking back, if I should have stayed at the lower dose - I might have been fine.

They only side effect until that point was I felt a bit stoned and gained 3-4 lbs over a few months.

Your mileage may vary. Every med is different for everybody.
Dew58 (06-29-2009), DM (02-10-2009), Doody (01-06-2009)