Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks for your feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
to ask your doctor.

Most (but not all) PNs are sensory. Once they become motor,
you need more aggressive medical advice.

Plasmapharesis is sometimes used to treat motor issues, if immune complexes are the cause.

Your weakness could also be a manifestation of type II diabetes. Muscle weakness is one symptom of increasing insulin resistance. Also your neck should be evaluated for any stenosis there.
Hereditary neuropathies may also affect motor functions.
Very interesting feedback for a couple reasons:

1. Although my glucose levels and A1c numbers have been normal, I just had a 2-hour glucose intolerance test done since I read about a number of cases where they had "normal" numbers for their everyday tests, but failed a later glucose tolerance test. I find out the results on Monday with my next visit to my neuro. In a strange way, I'm hoping I've failed and can be labeled "pre-diabetic" so that I have something definitive to work on.

2. Your "neck stenosis" suggestion is, again, spot on. Even before the muscle weakness became more noticeable, my neuro and I were talking about getting an MRI done of my neck because.... 5 years ago, I had two discs removed in my neck. During the surgery, he did a lot of a lot of clean-up of arthritis. Based on what I'm experiencing now, if I didn't have the PN feelings in my feet/legs first, I would be immediately guessing that I'm having another issue with my neck.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Ed
EHorst99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote