View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
I am 12 months PCS and on 5 different drugs to control my headaches and mood(anger) problems.

Recent drug changes have made my headaches a little more tolerable and I think reduced the number of migraines each week.

I am left with extreme fatigue though. I sleep 10 or 11 hrs at night and then barely stay awake until my first of usually two naps each day.

I want to get back to work ASAP and am wondering if anyone has had any luck with meds for tiredness?

Thanks
Copper

http://www.medicine-in-motion.com/Patient_Education.htm

Hi Copper, check out above website for some good info on headaches and dizziness. The slideshow is good for those with occipital headaches. I also want to urge you to to see a physical therapist or a chiropractor who has experience with whiplash and cervical strain.

I - and my GP and Neurologist - didn't think I had anything wrong with my neck because I didn't have the typical neck pain and stiffness after my accident. But, as I learned almost a year later, pain can be referred to the head. In my case it was mostly the back of my head where many muscles attach to bone and the cervical spine. My chiropractor explained to me that those muscles healed in a shortened state and where trapping nerves, causing dizziness or what I call feeling whoozy. Several months of therapy have helped me a lot and I feel almost back to normal after a year and a halve. I am still taking about 15 mg of the Elavil at night as it helps me to relax.

Hope this helps. I don't have any answer about the meds., but hopefully you will be able to reduce some of them with a therapist. I would also try to do some regular exercises like riding a stationary bike. Just start out very slowly and increase in tiny increments and don't get discouraged if you feel worse at first, it all takes time and effort. Also, a warm bath before exercise and stretches and ice afterwards helps.

I think I could have recovered faster if I had known all this earlier. My concussion symtoms like memory problems, anxiety, noise sensitivity, etc. improved within a few months after my crash, but headaches, head sensitivity, and dizziness lingered for a long time.

You might research whiplash on the net - I found that it causes a lot of the same symtoms as PCS.

Last edited by Sissy; 01-06-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add
Sissy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote