View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with Joe55. I ran into almost the same issue as you did. I had an attorney that tried to get it over pretty fast. What I did since mine is also a work comp case is see if there was any other attorney out there that is good and thinks you have a very good case and fight for YOU. I had to search hard for my attorney but I finally found one. Refuse to sign anything unless you approve of it. If the attorney settles out without your approval then that attorney is in trouble. My last attorney that I had I turned him into the ethics group cuz he was also doing sexual harrassment on me. He would send me emails and I would print them off as well as make sure I responded if necessary and print that off as well. He got a slap on the hand but before that he ended up firing me and said he had lost my file in 3 days. He as well emailed this to me and I printed it out. I did find myself another attorney thank god he is a great one. It took me four years to settle out,but the attorney let me know everything that they were willing to give me and the biggest thing that stuck out to me is that they were going to leave my medical as far as rsd opened for the rest of my life. I didn't care about the money cuz I can't get health insurance due to my rsd so if they were willing to pay for my rsd and that includes every thing then I was willing to take the deal instead of go to trial and take the chance on losing the open file. Well guess what that settlement took place a year ago this summer and they are still not paying for every thing so we have to go back after them again. As far as the other attorney he had tried to put a lean on my settlement when he had gotten some money in the past so we are also suing him. He was trying to put ungodly amounts of money on what I supposedly owed him like triple charging me for things already paid for and almost $400 an hour that he spent on the case and there was never any hrly agreement for him. Since he did this we had to hold $5300 in a trust for about 6 months til he finally gave up cuz we kept bothering him. But we are still suing him for a ton of things. My attorney gave me a rough draft of what we are suing this other attorney for. So I think in my opinion I would try to get a new attorney and fire the old one. Who knows you might have a case against him as well. My attorney told me that he has some cases that they are going against attorneys for the exact thing you just descibed here. So what do you have to lose. Ask around your area to people you trust about a good attorney if you don't know of any. All I did was open my phone book to the yellow pages and just got lucky. I usually don't get that lucky. But check the other attorneys out just DON'T let the other attorney know until you find one you think you will like and make sure if you do have to settle out make sure it is done without prejudice. Then you can possibly be able to reopen your work comp case up and resue them as well. The one only thing I can say is HANG ON FOR A RIDE! It can pretty bumpy for a while. Hope this information helps. I am still going through tons of pain and still fighting work comp and the other attorney. Good luck in all you do and the decisions you need to make. If you ever have an questions you think I might be able to help with please just ask and I will do my best. GOOD LUCK!

Sincerely,
Tracy(screwballpookie)
screwballpookie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fishnchef (01-14-2009)