View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 02:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ok....had the MRI on Sunday....it went well. I love feeling all cacooned (sp) into that loud machine (I'm a pretty big girl). It really was quite cozy and I actually caught myself starting to snore on 2 occasions.....go figure LOL.

Today I called the hospital and asked for the written report of the MRI. I'm hoping that some of you wonderful folks who are so much more educated than I am can help me understand it enough so I don't sound like a total idiot when I see the bad bad neuro lady doc on Friday. grrrrrrrr

I hope ya'll don't mind me asking....

Quote:
Findings: There are a number of small high signal intensity lesions in the white matter of the hemispheres evident particularly in the FLAIR images, and at least 24 of these are evident. There are no evident callosal or juxtacortical lesions evident. This is more than would be expected normally at this patient's age. The larger of these measure about 4mm in size. The remainder of the breain demonstrates normal morphology and signal characteristics with preservation of the grey-white matter interfaces. There is non evidence of restricted diffusion or abnormal enhancement at any of these lesions or elsewhere in the brain. There are no other focal lesions identified and no evidence of mass effect. Ventricles and sulci are normal in size and configuration for age. There is no evidence of intracranial hemmorhage and normal central cerebral vascular flow voids are seen. There is no abnormal enhancement identified.

Impression - Small high signal intensity white matter lesions most consistent with "UBO's" representing senescent change and/or small vessel ischemic change in this age group. Increase in these lesions have been described in association with migraine headaches, including in association with CADISIL, but usually in a younger age group. Also consider systemic diseases affecting small vessels such as hypertension or diabetes. Other possible etiologies for this would include dymyelinating or dysmyelinating disease, the effects of the various prescritpion or non-prescription drugs, inflammatory diseases such as Lyme disease, malignant disease, etc.
Quick background -

7 years ago, I had 5 lesions, 1 was in the corpus collasum (not there now) 3 were in frontal lobes 2 I don't remember where LOL.

I do have Type 2 diabetes and am being treated for it.

Mom died 27 years ago from glioblastoma behind her right eye. (this has always made me nervous)

I do not have high blood pressure but I do suffer from migraines...some with and some without aura.

I will request Lyme disease testing.....but in my gut and my heart of hearts, I know I don't have it.

Question: Are these "active" lesions or old ones? And, what do you all think should be my next step here?

Thanks so much for all your help
seara
seara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
4boysmom (01-06-2009), dmplaura (01-06-2009)