View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Another Dr. Jho failure

January 2008 I underwent the Jho procedure. the hospital experience was fair, and while I was in the hospital, Jho and Jeff, his assistant came to see me post op then release me. It was the last time I saw either of them. I had an order to call if I had burning, numbness etc. I packed my overnight bag and left. Within a week of being home, I had a stabbing pain in my arm that was new to me; constant numbness and severe axillary pain. I called the office and reported these symptoms to Jeff, he had no answer for me except to say we needed to wait for the 6 week MRI. Another week passed so I called again and spoke with Jeff. I reiterated my symptoms . Again, Jeff had no answers except to offer me a refill of medication. I asked him why I would be told to call the office if the office didn't want to hear my problems, or real plan to do anything? I sufferred along with the pain, and numbness. three weeks later I returned to work, unprepared to sit at a desk let alone exercise or have any other activity. I called Jeff one last time--never spoke to the doctor--just to make sure I was being fair to the practice. again, story--Jho's office can't do anyhting until the MRI in March.I returned to work in worse pain than before surgery. I struggled along. In March, I receivedthe order for the MRI. I have it done and a week later I call the offce for the results. the receptionist (a very kind lady) takes my name and tells me jeff will call me. another week goes by and I call again since my call has not been returned. No one calls me back. In early May 2008 Darryl, dr. jho's new assistant calls me and tells me he wants me to come in for an exam. I just want to know what my MRI says. darryl tells me that Dr. Jho has been so busy --on vacation--traveling lecturering etc. he'll return in late May.
My C5-C6 decompression collapsed according to the MRI JHO ordered but never read. Nerve impingment is as severe as it was prior to surgery.

I am seeing one of the top ten neurosurgeons in the U.S. at this time and he is less than impressed with the work and practices of Dr. Jho. The institute and the staff are too busy to care for patients. The procedures are not for people who have serious long standing issues that require major surgeries. Although I was recommended to this practice, I do not recommend the Jho Institute to any one. Patients do not need warm fuzzies from their doctors, but they do need and deserve follow up and courtesy.

QUOTE=GJZH;248002]Dallaskibby,

I have not posted anything that is not true...Others have posted their stories about Jho to this thread and to other forums...I think if Jho were as good as the few people that post to a few threads say he is we would see more stories about him on the Internet...I have done a search and just do not find that many people singing his praises...There are as many good stories as bad...

The fact that you were back to work in 12 days and playing sports in 4 weeks tells me that you did not have extensive problems before the surgery.

I think you can tell by my signature that my spinal problems are extensive. I would never waste my time by contacting Jho. I sought only the best surgeons at the best hospitals in the world. I started at Johns Hopkins and then went into NYC. I admit my laminectomy failed...We knew it might at the onset...I wanted to try something that was not as extensive as a fusion at first...The problems with my spine start at the top and go to the SI joints...I doubt that Jho would ever entertain the thought of helping me...or could...He does not have the expertise or the time. He is in and out of the operating room with most patients in hours. My lumbar fusion was 16 hours and took two days...It took the skill of a highly trained OSS....Someone who had done many multi-level fusions..Most spinal surgeons have not done more than a three level or will not do more than a three level fusion....There are not many of surgeons in the US that can do a multi-level fusion and do it with success....I am not pain free, but my spine is stable and my pain is better that it was before my surgery.

I am glad that you had a good outcome with Dr. Jho...I do not know how far out from surgery you are...but I think you should read some of the testimonials at Healthboards...There seemed to be more people there that posted about failed surgeries. I do not know if those posts are still archived because the last time I searched for info was probably in 2004/2005....At that time there seemed to be many more posts from people that were disgruntled and unhappy about their treatment and surgeries. It also seems that about one year after the surgery is when people started to have difficulties, so please do be careful with your activities, no matter how well you feel now. Good luck with your surgery....and I do hope you are getting regular follow-ups...I saw my surgeon at four weeks, eight weeks, three months, six months, nine months, one year, fifteen months, eighteen months, two years, ...and now about every six months...I see him now for my cervical spine...and thoracic spine as well...You can see as I said...I have extensive problems...Jho would never see me as a patient...I would mess up his statistics...[/QUOTE]
tish13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote