View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
To be honest the sympathetic block was no hassle at all - I honestly don't know what the fuss is about!

It doesn't enter any joints so it is nothing more than an intra-muscular injection albeit with a very long needle. It is certainly much less invasive than an epidural and the risks are considerably lower.

There was no sedation, just a local anaesthetic injected where the needle went in - this means there can be no pain. As the needle is pushed further in, the anaesthetist puts more local down the needle each time you can start to feel it. This is normal in the UK - honestly, sedation is totally unnecessary for the vast majority of people. Some countries like the US and France are much more pro-drugs. They had to do mine twice because the needle was in slightly the wrong place but it made no difference - once the area has been anaesthetised then you feel nothing but a bit of pressure.

I only had one block. It made no difference to my pain levels so I got no useful therapeutic outcome (as with many people) but it did confirm the CRPS diagnosis so there was no point in repeating the procedure. I think they are much more gung-ho about repeating these blocks over and over again in the US than they are in the UK. The view here is that it is also a bit pointless to do them as close together as yours are because it gives no time for the block to settle and no opportunity to see what happens therapeutically over a few weeks.

I think sometimes doctors repeat these over and over because they can't think of anything else to do/try. Patients go through with that because they are scared and want to feel that the doc is "doing something".

A lot of people get no benefit whatsover from the blocks so I'd urge you to take stock after tomorrow's block and really think about whether you are getting any therapeutic benefit for your pain and other symptoms. There are plenty of people who have all sorts of horror stories from repeated pointless blocks.

Good luck anyway.

Talk through with your doctor his true reason for doing these blocks and for doing them so close together so that you are absolutely sure that it makes sense if he suggests any more.
Gymjunkie,
I've had a bit of improvement in the amount of allodynia since my first block. I'm not looking for radical improvment.......ANYTHING would be appreciated. I look at them as stepping stones. If each one settles the sympathetic nervous system a bit more, it could potentially put me into "remission". I've read several articles (albeit, by US docs) that indicate that aggressive blocks in someone who has JUST gotten RSD (I've only had it a month) has the best prognosis. How long into your disease did you get your block??? I'm so sorry it didn't work for you.

I am, and always have been, an extremely anxious person. I have actually passed out cold getting an epidural injection for back pain while lying on my stomach (apparently, not easy to do). I also tend to tense up when I'm nervous or anxious, so sedating me is wise in my case. Part of what exacerbates RSD is stress, so being calm and relaxed during the injection is most beneficial.

I guess each person is different. I would be petrified to have the injection without sedation......I'm glad my doc gives me that option. I get Novocaine when I have a filling done and I had epidurals with each of my kids. I figure I'm in enough pain already.....I don't need to prove anything to anyone.

He's going to do two more next week and then reevaluate. If I show no more improvement (or very little) he won't do more. If it helps further, he will do up to 8 and then stop. I feel comfortable with this course of action and hope beyond hope that this makes my pain more tolerable and gives me back more mobility.

I appreciate your input and response!! I hope they find another course of action that will reduce your pain levels.
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote