View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry I didn't get to your post last night. I assume tooth #11 was extracted today and the dentist put in the graft material?

Generally, the graft material will not cause any additional discomfort. The reason to put the graft in is to help preserve the proper level of bone just in case you decide you want an implant later on. Every time a tooth is removed, at least 50% of the bone never grows back. When bone graft is put in the socket, if the area heals well, then maybe only 10 or 20% of the bone will be lost and the bone that fills in will be very solid. The bone graft is meant to stimulate your own bone to grow in the space and within a few months, the bone graft material has literally become all of your own bone.

Even if you didn't want an implant later on....... it is usually a good idea to do the bone graft as a preventive means of preserving as much bone as possible so the ridge holds it's natural contour and doesn't end up flat.

Years ago bone grafts were seldom used and as a result people who had teeth extracted ended up with little to no bony ridge which will make it impossible to have a comfortable fit if they needed a removable partial or full denture. Without the bone graft, the ridge gets flat and even permanently cemented bridgework will have gaps along the gum line where the teeth are missing due to the bone loss.

Ok.... so how did you do today?? I'm hoping all went well!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy60 View Post
The wisdom tooth at this point is not interfering with the one in front of it but he is reviewing my cat scan overnight. Here is what happened though with the immediate problem...11 has to come out and I am doing it tomorrow. I am choosing iv sedation because it's just too stressful for me, after just having another tooth extracted. He said he wants to do a bone graft in case I want an implant and even if I don't, he said it's important. Bryanna, I am so scared that this will make things more complicated for me. I just wanted a simple extraction. Our parents and grandparents didn't have grafts done and got bridges...why is this necessary? I am afraid of complications, more pain, I just wanted to keep this simple. Will I have more pain from the graft? I guess I don't want too many details of what can go wrong because I will not be able to sleep but I want to know if grafts can cause more pain. He said he puts a powder in from a bone bank, then collagen, then stitches. I'd need stitches anyway so it doesn't seem like the powder should make it hurt more but I don't know. I am going tomorrow so if you get to this post before then, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much as always.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote