View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
visitor

15 yr Member
visitor

15 yr Member

Hi Bryanna, I went to my general dentist first who took the impression for the flipper then to the oral surgeon. My dentist said the same thing you did, get the graft now instead of later...while it's open and accessible. So, I got the IV sedation, had no awareness of anything, and it's over. Not that much bleeding, he said there would be less because of the graft. Just stinging now on the palate side. Can't rinse with salt water yet but took some Advil, slept for 2 hours when I got home and glad this is over. Follow up in a week at which time he'll go over the cat scan and his opinion of the wisdom tooth. Thanks so much for seeing me through this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry I didn't get to your post last night. I assume tooth #11 was extracted today and the dentist put in the graft material?

Generally, the graft material will not cause any additional discomfort. The reason to put the graft in is to help preserve the proper level of bone just in case you decide you want an implant later on. Every time a tooth is removed, at least 50% of the bone never grows back. When bone graft is put in the socket, if the area heals well, then maybe only 10 or 20% of the bone will be lost and the bone that fills in will be very solid. The bone graft is meant to stimulate your own bone to grow in the space and within a few months, the bone graft material has literally become all of your own bone.

Even if you didn't want an implant later on....... it is usually a good idea to do the bone graft as a preventive means of preserving as much bone as possible so the ridge holds it's natural contour and doesn't end up flat.

Years ago bone grafts were seldom used and as a result people who had teeth extracted ended up with little to no bony ridge which will make it impossible to have a comfortable fit if they needed a removable partial or full denture. Without the bone graft, the ridge gets flat and even permanently cemented bridgework will have gaps along the gum line where the teeth are missing due to the bone loss.

Ok.... so how did you do today?? I'm hoping all went well!!

Bryanna
sandy60 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote