View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
I have an emotional support dog that I've been taking with me to a church group meeting for the past year. The hosts of this group have now moved into an apartment, and the managers specifically said no dogs.

I know that emotional support dogs have rights to be kept in no pets allowed housing...but what about just visiting? I imagine that there's a good chance they will allow it, but in case they argue, I was wondering if I had any rights in visiting with my dog.
An individual home owner, religious organization or private club can refuse entry of a service animal. The owner of a building such as an apartment building cannot.

Anywhere a person in a wheelchair or crutches cannot be denied entry, a person with a service dog cannot be denied entry either.

The only paper you are legally required to show is a current rabies vaccination. But certification helps avoid arguments.

By definition, the service dog must be trained to perform at least one task to help you. :-) Staying by your side can be a trained task. Touching you when you are upset can be a trained task. Perhaps what you actually have there is a "service dog."
Jaspar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote