View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default subtypes

Th new PD sounds a lot harder to fix than the old one that was located in the substantia nigra and just a neurological disorder. One question I've had is about the two subtypes that have been recognized for some time - those of tremor dominant and bradykinesia, rigid dominant. Some research on these two has resulted in the belief that bradykinesia and rigidity present a higher risk for dementia. Those with tremor dominance often change to rigid/bradykinesia dominance and after this happens, they are also at higher risk for dementia.

Has anyone looked at these two subtypes among the responders with Cere 120 or spheramine? Should it be a component of every trial ? perhaps it even affects the chances of having placebo effect?

in the new trial - can enough people be included to compare subtyes in at least these two categories?

These 2 subtypes we already know about. Genotypes we must wait for. One person who is experienced, has expressed to me that DNA testing isn't everything it's cracked up to be. Are we to put our hopes in waiting another 5 years for cheaper DNA testing that isn't reliable?

In the meantime, I hope the human component, the emotional component involved in this "slow death", the part that can only be relayed by pwp, is exhaustively explored for subtypes, as well as gastro-intestinal, immunological, hormonal, and other accompanying conditions' effects on trial results.

We are taking scientists word for it about the placebo effect. But we are not dealing with pd when we talk about the placebo, we are talking about tricking people, deception, trying to get past their psyches. It has nothing to do with PD in concept. We already know that emotions, stress levels, excitement, positivity, negativity affect pd symptoms and performance.

What are we looking for, for success? What can we do to help this process along?

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote