View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I am sure that this is not an original question. I had shoulder surgery, developed a real mean case of CRPS (what case isn't though?), got REAL lucky in that it got diagnosed 1 month later, started stellate blocks at 6 weeks post, have had 4 now. CRPS is moderatly controlled now but feel #5 block isn't far off.

Ortho wants to do another surgery to fix the mess created by the first. Says pre and post-surgery blocks will not allow spread or flaring of CRPS. Can anyone tell me their experience of what a second surgery did to them?

THX
I have not had a second surgery. I will pass along an article I found about surgery after CRPS. I will say that as long as there is a flare, or your CRPS is active, I would NOT recommend surgery unless it is life or death. MOST surgeons would not even attempt it.......get a second or third opinion. The article basically states that blocks before, during, and after surgery are indicated with a patient that has RSD. There is NO ONE out there that can say with certainty that your RSD will not spread.....with or without the blocks......with or without surgery. Period. I hope this is informative! Best of luck to you! Keep in touch with your progress!!

http://anesthesia.stanford.edu/pain/...%20Surgery.pdf
MominPainRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dubious (01-10-2009)