View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi everyone

I was recently diagnosed with Vitamin B12 deficiency and folic acid deficiency. My symptoms began with palpitations and extra heartbeats three years ago. Twenty months ago I began to get fatigue, vertigo and imbalance, and was diagnosed with BPPV. In between these times I had a blood test that showed my B12 level was 253 but nothing was done (normal considered to be as low as 160!). I was living in the UK then. After worse fatigue and all the symptoms Cara? describes on the Gluten File plus a few more, my level was 140 and my folic acid 4. My doctor (now in the Netherlands) refered me to a neuro who was (sorry about this) a patronising prat who also told me laughingly that he could assure me that palpitations were NOT a symptom of B12 deficiency! He did however send me for an MRI and told me I had an "inner ear problem" and not MS (I didn't think I had it in the first place). I had been virtually bedridden on several occasions and at times was hardly able to walk. I saw him on a "good" day. My GP started me on B12 injections and folic acid tablets. The injections were to be one every three weeks for the first three injections (which I was surprised about) and then possibly every three months. He would investigate why my levels were low when the result of the MRI came through in mid-December. I booked my injections every two weeks by accident but decided to leave it as it was. I've had two injections and although my numbness had improved I still have all the other symptoms the worst being fatigue, imbalance, stabbing pains and bigger sharp pains here and there especially on my shins, pain behind my eyes and in my ears, sciatica, cubital tunnel syndrome, bladder and bowel problems, two types of tinnitus in one ear, clicking and popping in the ears, and problems with sleep, and all the brain fog stuff (I'm 52). I use a cane when walking alone mainly for balance and odd joint pains. Sometimes I find it hard to believe all my symptoms can be caused by this deficiency but read forums like this to reassure myself. I can't very well demand extra injections off my GP who seems to think I'm just a bit low. However, he was concerned that I may have permanent nerve damage or MS, so I don't quite get it. I'll ask next time I speak to him why only three injections to start, (but I am nervous about asking). It's good to know what others have been prescribed for comparison. At least after reading other posts I don't feel such a hyperchondriac as at times I have doubted myself as I couldn't believe I could have so many symptoms, luckily I have a supportive hubby.

all the best to everyone
Maria xx

Last edited by Maria; 11-30-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Maria is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote