View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

DoctorJ,

Thank you for bringing up diet.

I was born with a rare brain disorder "heterotopia". The medical name is much longer, but we'll start there. 24 years ago I began experiencing seizures, 5 types of seizures numbering 100 a month. After many types of meds, the doctors now have me on 3 seizure meds. No one ever mentioned a diet. I learned of gluten intolerance last year after experiencing IBS for about 5 years( no meds taken for this). At about the same time I heard red meats were hard on the digestive system. That being said, today I am red meat free, wheat free, dairy free, refined sugar free,and corn free. I'm focused on reaching optimal health and am still experiencing about 20 simple partial and complex partial seizures a month. My body developed degenerative disk disease leaving me unable to exercise(aerobics to burn fat) without pain. I have a desire and goal to shed 40 pounds healthfully and need help. Anyone reading able to offer advice?

Thank you for your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtorJ View Post
No one has tried gluten-free, casein-free diets for epilepsy?

May I ask what is keeping you from it? Do you not believe it will help or do you think it will be hard to impossible to employ? Do you believe that stopping all gluten grains (wheat, barley, rye), dairy, soy and corn will be dangerous to your health? Do you need some testimonials? Do you need to have the pathomechanism behind how these food cause seizures explained in simple (or complex) terms? Have you already tried without success?

I would love the chance to address all of these questions and more if you are interested. There is overwhelming evidence that this can help tremendous numbers of epllepsy sufferers. The medical profession is quite excited about the results seen with ketogenic and now "modified Atkins" diets. Wait 'til they see what happens when they focus on "the big 4".

John
NeuroCrusader is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote