View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I am sure that this is not an original question. I had shoulder surgery, developed a real mean case of CRPS (what case isn't though?), got REAL lucky in that it got diagnosed 1 month later, started stellate blocks at 6 weeks post, have had 4 now. CRPS is moderatly controlled now but feel #5 block isn't far off.

Ortho wants to do another surgery to fix the mess created by the first. Says pre and post-surgery blocks will not allow spread or flaring of CRPS. Can anyone tell me their experience of what a second surgery did to them?

THX
I was DX'd with RSD in my rt foot, 2 weeks later was scheduled to have left shoulder surgery, the dr told me that it doesn't spread.....Yes, it does and did. I was new to RSD and didn't do my homework. I have since (9 yrs later) had another surgery and took what precautions I could. NONE are a guarantee that it won't spread but I have found articles that give you some outlines to follow. A block/blocks in addition to general anesthesia that lasts a day or two,(best {per one article} before,during and after- mine gave me a 2 day block) keep blood pressure cuffs off affected limb, same with injections an/or IV's, make sure that the OR is warm so that you aren't cold and shivering, pillows or whatever is needed so there are no stress points on your body,heated blankets and a lot of prayer. I made sure with the second surgery that couldn't be avoided to have a long discussion with both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. The RSD can still spread but you have done what you can. I still need a number of parts fixed but will live with the problems as long as I can rather than take the chance of flaring the RSD. We have talked about this in a support group too and try to avoid surgery if there is a choice or try to take all the precautions listed.
Best of luck, do your homework, ask a lot of questions, find out how much the Dr's know about RSD (you don't want to be the one they are learning on), get second opinions and etc.
letstalk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote