Thread: A divided house
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If you are stressed about them being together it is not a good idea for you to be involved in the introductions. Dogs will feed off your emotions and react to your stress making the introduction doomed.

My latest rescue Max (doxie) doesn't like big dogs. My daughter has a boxer and a pitbull. Both good sized dogs, that probably look like giants to this little guy.

When they were first introduced I made sure they were all leashed and allowed the smaller dog to sniff the bigger dogs first (outside in neutral territory). After a few minutes of getting to know each other we walked them all into the house.

When ever my daughter visits she calls when she is turning onto my street and I leash Max and go out to greet them and we all come inside together. Max is calm because he doesn;t feel his home is being invaded.

You can do the same within your home. Because they live in separate areas, Have someone that is CALM introduce them in an area of your home that is neutral. I would allow the blind dogs first sniffing rights. My only concern in your situation is the blindness. SOME dogs will react with aggression to a handicapped dog out of fear. Handicapped dogs often act different and dogs sence the difference and can be fearful and the fight or flight instinct will kick in.

In a controlled situation, for short periods each day they can learn to live together. It could take months of repetition or just days. Read up on canine body language for things to look for during the intros that will let you know when they have had enough. Its important to stop before they get stressed with each other.

Good luck hopefully you will be able to live in harmony some day.

Dottie

Last edited by jaded2nite; 01-11-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: edit to add a link
jaded2nite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (01-11-2009)