View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess78 View Post
I hope that u have great results with the mvd surgery, I have atypical TN as well, but when I had my MVD surgery, the docs didn't find anything AND severed the nerve so I am left in more pain than I was before. I am not saying that I regret having the surgery b/c no matter the side effects, I would have tried anything, I 2 feel as if I could pull my own teeth! I just hope that the docs that u see gave u full info of the side effects of this type of surgery b/c mine did not and it was disappointing 2 find out that the pain that I am left with is not curable. Again good luck with everything and remember u will still feel pain after surgery, but if it works it will gradually go away!
Jess: I am sorry you still have pain. I actually asked the surgeon about his thoughts on severing the nerve, and his answer to me was almost the same as what you posted: that severing the nerve can result in numbness PLUS pain. He stressed that under no circumstances will he ever do anything to leave the patient worse off than before the MVD.

I'm about ready to grab those pliers any second now..there's gotta be 5 or 6 rotten teeth up in that jaw, dontcha think?

Thank you for your reply. I am being rather cautious due to the atypical nature of my situation. Plus, the surgeon is being very conservative as to possible outcomes.

I *hope* to be able to post a success story. But in my gut I'm not expecting a 100% turnaround.....there were too many oral surgeries that have mucked around with the nerve endings at the front of my face to get a complete resolution. But I believe this is the best option for me.

CAT
NanaCat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote