View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a 2nd surgery 6 years after my first, it was the first surgery that caused my RSD in my left foot. The 2nd surgery was to remove the metal left in from the from the first procedure. The Dr's here did not want to do a 2nd surgery on me so I went to Germany to have it done. I wish I had done it sooner as the ortho dr. there told me that the metal should have been removed 6 months after the initial surgery. I believe it was the metal screws that continued to aggravate my RSD and make it progress. They treated me very well there. Following the surgery they gave me a 1 week continuous peridural anaesthetic treatment, something not available where I live in Canada. I did however have good follow up treatments since my return home. I did not have any blocks prior to the 2nd surgery but we did decide to use a regional anesthetic over a general for the surgery as it is believed to have more direct effect to the rsd limb. I took my Ipod into surgery and listened to my favorite classical music during the procedure. I did not want to know what was being done and certainly did not want to hear the sound of metal and bones.

I have been having regular IV Lidocaine infusions for the past couple of years and I think this has kept me stable. I had one a week before we left for Germany.

The first few months were tough but I do not have a spread of CRPS and overall the dr's agree that I am better off having the metal removed. PM me if you would like more details.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote