Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Thanks curious.

Yeah, I thought of using a home made chicken stock and just adding some shredded chicken. That might work well too.

The recipe was incredibly fun and easy, but all that cream made it taste a little like an old fashioned cocktail sauce that goes on prawns (translation: shrimps lol). (plus it doesn't agree with me).

Non-fat cream. Now there's a concept. I'll look for that. I know "light" cream, but it's still too rich for me. Maybe I could use a little of that and go easier on the tomato pesto. That's very strong flavour so needs a balance.
I could never handle a cream like that much..plus lactose intolerant...
But I agree about the chicken broth, but I would consider using the broth and making a lite roug like a little butter or oil in a pan, some butter/or substitute. Add some flour, about 1/3 to some broth and stir, you need two things, an oil, and to bring to a boil so it does not lump and gets thick....

I would melt the butter or smart balance with a tbls oil, then in a cup mix 1/4 to 1/3 flour and cup of the broth wisk it and add to the pot that has heated to a boil with the rest of that can and add a second. take to a lower temp from the boil before adding the flour mixture, wisk it in.

This is the sauce or gravy I make or for cassarols.
di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-11-2009), weegot5kiz (01-18-2009)