View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default perplexed

ken-

I went to Medline and searched "turmeric gallstones" and got only one hit as follows (in part):
"As a large percentage of gallbladder patients have continued digestive complaints following cholecystectomy, the author examines complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) treatments to counteract gallstone formation. Herbal medicine such as turmeric, oregon grape, bupleurum, and coin grass may reduce gallbladder inflammation and relieve liver congestion. Elimination of offending foods, not necessarily 'fatty' foods, is often successful..."

"turmeric biliary" turned up only four hits including:
"CONCLUSIONS: The study presents the first solid indication that extracts from Schollkraut/Curcuma (Cholagogum F Nattermann) which have widely been used in daily practice for many decades have beneficial effects on pain due to biliary dyskinesia."

"turmeric ulcers" yielded only seven hits the most recentof which was entitled: Curcuma longa extract protects against gastric ulcers by blocking H2 histamine receptors.

Finally, "turmeric blood thinner" yielded only four hits. The most relevant was moaning about how about twenty different herbs had the "potential" to interact with warfarin and made the assumption the problem was with the herbs and not the blood thinner.

So I am very puzzled why the notice was given.

-Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Tower View Post
Curcumin - warnings Gallbladder etc.

I picked up some Tumeric/Curcumin capsules the other day and found they came with the following warning. Having had a gallbladder attack last year, I am mildly concerned since I had not heard this mentioned before. Comments??

Risk Information - Consult a health practicioner if you have a history of gallstones, bilary tract obstructions, and/or stomach ulcers, or are taking
blood-thinners. Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

take care ,,, ken
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote