Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart

Former USC LB, NFL linebacker Eric Scoggins dies

The Associated PressPublished: January 14, 2009

LOS ANGELES: Eric Scoggins, an outside linebacker who helped Southern California beat Alabama in their big 1978 matchup, has died of Lou Gehrig's disease. He was 49.

Scoggins died Friday in Tracy, Calif., the school said Tuesday.

Scoggins played three games for the San Francisco 49ers in 1982, then spent time in the United States Football League with the Los Angeles Express and Houston Gamblers.

He was a four-year letterman at USC. He recorded 164 career tackles, including 11 as a sophomore in the 24-14 win at Alabama. That performance earned him the Pac-10 defensive player of the week award.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/...t-Scoggins.php

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Name: Eric Scoggins

Hometown, State: Tracy, CA

Family (spouse/partner, children, grandchildren):
Wife, four children (three sons and one daughter)

Hobbies/Interests:
Golf

Date of ALS diagnosis:
January 12, 2007

Tell us about your life before ALS:
My dream as a child was to go to USC and play football and eventually progress to professional. Not one willing to have my dream deferred, I played football at USC and also had a professional football career. After football I had more dreams of transferring my ability into the corporate world and excelled there as well. Before ALS I was passionate about my work and thrived on success. I don’t believe in titles, only to work hard and help others reach their full potential.

Tell us about your life with ALS:
Being a dreamer from the start and my life with ALS now I have the dream of finding a cure and plan to attack the issue with the same passion that fueled my successful professional career. I live by the famous quote, “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

Tell us how ALS has brought new significance to any aspect of your life - family, attitude, hobbies/passions, career, etc. :
It has made me re-shift my focus and energy to help finding a cure. I have since met Augie Nieto who has inspired me to join forces in that quest for finding a cure. I have established “Eric’s Vision,” which supports Augie’s Quest.
One of my greatest rewards is seeing the people I have mentored and watching them grow successful.

List your favorite quote: “If I tell you a mouse can pull a mountain, then you better hitch him up!”

Do you have a “life motto” or “profound words to live by”: “If a man doesn’t stand for something, he’ll fall for anything.”

Has there been an “a-ha!” moment or a specific turn of events that has helped you live with ALS?
My ah-ha! moment was when I met Augie Nieto, who’s in the same situation as I, and he gave me some sound advice that I took to heart on how I should live my life from this point forward, not wasting any more time being upset about my situation and living my life to the fullest every day.

Is there anything else about you and/or ALS that you want to share with people who read your story?
First, having family support is extremely important. Second, having extended support from what I call my true friends Ronnie Lott and Keena Turner has been extremely beneficial throughout this journey. Third, educate yourself and others about the disease.

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote