View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
I wish there were games I could play on dial-up and a slow computer, other than Solitaire. I'm talking word games.
B2y, if you like word games, try TextTwist.

I'm on DSL, but it's not really DSL, as the signal seriously degrades over distance in the jungle, and by the time *I* get it, way out here near the border, it's EQUAL to dial-up in speed. (I tested it remotely)

the reason I can play TextTwist on this cruddy laptop is, it doesn't take up much room, it loads the whole online game at the beginning, and then, you play at your own speed.

after each "hand" (of 6 dealt letters) is finished (by getting the 6-letter word) you can pause, take a break, do whatever, stretch, move around... then click GO to start the next hand.

it just takes a couple of minutes to initially load, and then, you can keep a game going for minutes, hours, even days and weeks (if you solve them all, lol!)

I've even kept games going through power outages on my laptop battery, as long as the outtage doesn't last more than a few hours.

TextTwist is what I do between other stuff, a self-enforced break that keeps my mind active.

see, lately, if I lay DOWN in the hammock, or curl up in my big cushiony bamboo-frame chairs... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. within 5 minutes!

the games help me pace myself through chores, and break every 10 or 15 minutes, for 20 or 30 of sitting down,

that works for me, at the state and stage I'm in.

it keeps my brain going, keeps me awake, keeps me on my toes until I head off to do the next little chore (prepping fruit for the dryers, or folding laundry.or chopping food for my 200 critters)

I know, that stuff doesn't SOUND hard, but it it's getting difficult for me to lift my arms, so playing on the computer RESTS them.

Blessings2You (01-14-2009), Curious (01-14-2009), FranksAngel (01-14-2009), Ivy2 (01-13-2009), Kitty (01-14-2009)