View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 09:25 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Urgent

The following is an important and urgent message from Mary Richards, PAN Director of Government Relations. I hope you can take the next 5-10 minutes to read the information and act on behalf of the PD community at this critical time. Thank you for your attention and your help!!!

I need the help of our grassroots leaders to make an even harder push to protect NETRP Parkinson’s research funding! We need to send our strongest message that NETRP is important to the Parkinson’s community by getting as many Members of Congress as possible on our NETRP Dear Colleague. Unfortunately, right now, we only have 12 House signers (in addition to our five Co-Chairs.)

The letter has been open for two weeks and Congress has only been back in Washington for a few days, but the Defense Conference Committee may begin deciding NETRP’s fate by the end of next week. We need many, many more Congressional signers for this letter to have the weight and importance needed to protect the program during the Conference Committee.

You might remember that last year’s number of House Dear Colleague signers was well above 70. This year’s earlier Dear Colleague was only signed by 41 Members, so we need to redouble our efforts to make sure that it does not appear that our support is dwindling. I am happy to report that several hundred action alerts have been sent to Hill offices, and we will send out another action alert to encourage more people to take action and others to follow-up.

In the meantime, it would be very helpful if the State and Congressional Coordinators could make sure to send those action alerts AND please call their delegation’s health Legislative Assistants (if anyone has lost those business cards, they can look up their Member on capwiz by last name and then click the “Staff Members” button for the health LA’s names and phone numbers. http://capwiz.com/pan/dbq/officials/)

I am attaching the House Dear Colleague letter in case folks are interested. More information is also included in the action alert on the website and under the legislative impact tab on the website.

We know how important this program is to our community. I recently had another conversation with our friends at the Fox Foundation about the impact this program has on Parkinson’s research and they again affirmed that NETRP funds the most innovative research that will exponentially grow our knowledge of Parkinson’s disease and how to better treat and cure it. Let’s do everything we can to protect this program.

Thanks!
Mary M. Richards
Director of Government Relations
Parkinson's Action Network
phone 202.638.4101 ext103

DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER next post
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote