View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

WeaveHerr...have you had your B12 level tested? Many of us celiac/gluten intolerant's are also B12 deficient. Ask to have your level tested before starting B12, just to see what the level is. If it is anywhere below even 1000, then start taking B12. I started out at 1000 mcgs 4 yrs ago, building up to 3000 mcgs. I never had my level tested before taking B12...I was having a hard time getting the doctors to listen to anything! I wish I knew what my level was before taking B12, 3 years ago, I tested at 1237, while taking 1000 mcg, last June, I tested at 1016.

I have double DQ1, subtype 6 genes, which are considered gluten intolerant and neuropathy genes. B12 is not an instant fix, it takes time for nerves to heal, and at times, healing nerves hurt as much or more than dying nerves. I slowed my progression significantly, and even have some nerve healing going on. I used to be quite a seamstress, and my hands had gotten so bad I couldn't sew for even a few minutes...now, I can sew again.

Also, you may have some other intolerance or intolerance's. I have several...I eat no grains anymore. For some people, going gluten free is all they need to do, some of us are not so lucky.

Feel free to email me anytime.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote