View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thanks for weighing in. I know that the Adagio Study ( why and how they choose these names is so beyond me) is highly-touted as the first US approved study to "prove" that a drug can slow down the progression of PD.
My doctor was very quick to want to put me on it because of that. I, however, am reluctant because it is an MAO inhibitor, adding a whole level of complication and dependence and possible interactions that ultimately no one will take responsibility for if I get in trouble. Like I notice that one of the warnings is that you shouldn't have general anesthesia while taking this drug. So what happens if you suddenly need surgery unexpectedly - or expectedly - but are dependent on this drug to the point where interrupting its course will seriously affect your wellbeing? It says it can provide "mild symptomatic relief." But if it's not that powerful, then why risk all kinds of interactions with food, other scrips, OTC meds for something that isn't that great.

These are of concern to me, especially when I think that a drug that "may delay" something is dubious...because how can you ever say how much some one may or may not have progressed if they hadn't taken it. It's pure speculation in a way. So in another way it's a perfect money maker, too. "Well, this could help so better take it, but you'll never really know quantitatively what it did or didn't do for you...."

This slays me because people get so angry about 'snake oil merchants' who want to 'make money off of desperately sick people.' Yet isn't that what our system is totally based on? We don't get anything approved unless someone is going to make lotsa money off us. Yet people rarely question the big companies...I could see where it could become almost malpractice not to prescribe Azilect if it is the ONLY drug 'shown' to delay, or to be truly neuroprotective etc. etc. SO I just was curious whether there had been any stampede by neuros in the last few months on this one.

All that said, lurkingforacure, I so do hope your husband continues to find it helpful. That is good news to me, and I am glad to hear that report.

BUT really, don't you wonder how they come up with these names? Azilect - hmm, conjures up vague associations with Ancient Mesoamerican knowledge, but something that you choose or select to do, but that is also elected, meaning winning popular approval.....plus sounds kind of dry, and golden, and wise and transcendent.....whereas the generic, rasagiline - well, rags, sagging, gasoline - a kind of Country girl gone wrong in some Dickensian back alley......oh, don't mind me. Just free associating...amazing how powerful a few phonemes can be, right?
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote