View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Attitude power

Interesting, paula. One may not buy into the "heal thyself" theory, but cannot deny its positive effect on both physical and emotional wellness. I want to address a sensitive subject now, and I hope the monitors can see the science in what I am about to say, and not the "religion" so that others can read it.

Growing up with the philosophy of Norman Vincent Peale (especially in his book The Power of Positive Thinking), I have to say that I am convinced with all my heart that attitude plays the most powerful role in healing. This isn't about Christianity, but it is about the mindset of Christianity (and just like with any religion, there are good and bad apples). If we feel a power within us that we can overcome something, what could be unhealthy or even unscientific about that?

I found this tidbit about Peale that I want to share:

Peale applied Christianity to everyday problems and is the person who is most responsible for bringing psychology into the professing Church, blending its principles into a message of "positive thinking." Peale said, "through prayer you ... make use of the great factor within yourself, the deep subconscious mind ... [which Jesus called] the kingdom of God within you ... Positive thinking is just another term for faith." He also wrote, "Your unconscious mind ... [has a] power that turns wishes into realities when the wishes are strong enough."

This is a whole "nutter" topic, but I sincerely believe that scientists should not be so quick to poo-poo the theory of positive thinking and its impact on healing. If it improves the well-being of a person suffering with pain and disabling symptoms, I fail to see the bad in that - and I definitely fail to see "failure" in that.

And what - do tell - could possibly be wrong with that???
Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote