View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjanie View Post
Hello All! I was wondering if anyone has or has a loved one that has severe short term memory loss from the removal of a colloid cyst. My sons cyst was 8millimeters when they found and removed it. The dr said it needed to be removed right away because we know he did not have it 3 years ago when he had a series of scans and the such done do to his dentist finding an unrelated tumor in his jaw at that time. So the fact that it was not there 3 years ago and now then it was and was pretty large for a short period of time to have grown was the concern. The cyst turned out to be vascular fed (which the 1st surgeon missed on the scans for some reason) and in the process of removing it my son went in to arrest but only for a moment. They changed from the endoscopic surgery to a craniotomy immediatly but the damage was done none the less. My son has not been able to return to school, needs constant supervision. He can't remember hardly anything(if he ate, what color is his toothbrush, if we went anywhere today etc). We are going to rehabilitation 5 days a week 3 hours a day and there has been some improvement but only small steps forward. I just don't know what to expect or what to do to help him more. Has anyone been through this and gotten better?
I thought I would pass along some very positive feelings. I underwent surgery for a CC at age 58. In contradiction to what the literature says both my short and long term memory were affected. I struggelled with this for quite some time. I started with simple PT like walking a straight line, went to flying radio controlled planes(many crashes) and reread my textbooks(many times). These have all helped me,BUT BE PATIENT-IT TAKES TIME. Post NS, now 3 1/2 years, things are going much better. It is an exponential function!
Thomas Kaup is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote