Thread: Melatonin
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Glad it works for her.

How long to give it...

That is the trick.

We watched Spencer to see if he was getting sleepy on his own about the time we would normally give it to him.

If he looked drousy, we would wait and see if he needed it.

If he was a party animal, he got one. That is actually still true today. We just don't give it to him more than a couple of times a month.

Our Neuro said that it is always appropriate to do a trial off a med from time to time for people that are on long term meds.

That is, of course, with a caviat. If the person is on a med that staves off a life threatening situation, don't do the trial. Diabetics should NEVER do a trial off their Insulan.

Melatonin is an entirely different story. If you think she is getting her sleep cycles in sync, hold off and see what happens. If she doesn't go to sleep on her own, you can always make a different decision at 10 pm.

That is also true if she wakes in the night. If I wake before 4 am, I will take another dose. My Doc told me I could take a max of 15 mgs per night. That sounded like an awful lot so I don't do that. I take 5 mgs. If I wake in the night, I take another. That usually only happens once a month during my cycle.

Hope that helps. Others can tell you what they do or did.
Beck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote