View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ali,

My case is not as advanced as yours sounds, but I have flown a fair amount both for business and pleasure. Most of my flights have been 1-1/2 to 4 hours long, but the length did not seem to matter much. It was being cramped.

My biggest problem, until recently, has been swelling of the lower left leg. Because of the pressure changes, my foot would swell quite a bit more than usual. I always wear velco-close shose so I can either loosen them or easily slip them off during the flight. Also, I would try to sit in a seat that would give me the best opportunity to stretch my foot. If I have to put my foot into the aisle for comfort, I would explain my situation to the flight attendants so they know why I am doing that and they can tolorate it. (It is generally against rules to block the aisle like that, but they give me leeway for medical problems.)

My swelling is worst when I have to sit for long periods. Being on the aisle seat allows me to stand once and a while, even if I don't walk around. This helps, too. Switch seats with the window person (if you can) once you get over the western US - the view is fantastic!

As I suggested at the beginning, once the swelling happened, it usually did not get worse with a longer flight -- just more time to deal with it. That's where a sleeping aid might help.

Finally, perhaps your travel agent can snag you an upgrade to a roomier seat, if your mum will let them know about your condition. If the tickets were bought directly from the airline, have her call the customer service department. (It will be a long time on hold, but may be worth it.)

I hope you love Las Vegas. It is truely a unique experience. Last time I was there, I had flu. I was miserable, but still had a good time!

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Last edited by bassman; 01-15-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote