View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI Ali,

How exciting for you to have the opportunity to get away. I travel all the time and I have a number of tips for you that should help you manage your RSD while flying.

First it is important that your parents request ground assistance from the airline. They should request a wheelchair for you, it does not matter if you don't need to use a a wheelchair regularly or not. The airlines are well versed on how to help people with disabilities and they know how challenging it can be for people who have any type of mobility issues. This will help you to get through all the line ups and security with minimal stress. An airport agent takes you through the whole process right up the the gate. They will also pre-board you and help you get settled on board the plane. When I came home from Germany this year following my surgery I did this and it really helped me, especially upon arrival in Canada when I had to go through customs and transfer to another flight to make it back to Vancouver. Pre- boarding also helped because I didn't have to worry about my leg getting bumped by all the crowds. It's really nice to to be able to get taken to the front of the line.

It is also important to understand the physiology of flight. Once the aircraft door is closed the cabin is pressurized. An aircraft planning to cruise at 40,000ft is programmed to rise gradually from take-off to around 8,000ft in cabin pressure altitude, and to then reduce gently to match the ambient air pressure of the destination. Because of this swelling can occur, even for those without RSD, many people frequently experience bloating and swollen feet but most peoples bodies are forgiving of these abuses. Flight attendants are advised to get uniforms that are 1 size larger for this reason as well.

I always take extra anti inflammatory medication about 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time and again about 45 minutes prior to landing.

Airplanes can be very cold and drafty so if you are sensitive to cold like i am you might want to consider taking a hot water bottle (empty of course) with you in your carry on bag. Once on board you can have the flight attendant fill it with hot water for you and they are happy to help. I think in England you have lots of hot water bottles with nice soft covers. They don't use microwaves on airplanes so you can't have those types of heating pads warmed up on board.

Be sure to drink lots and of water, at least 1 full glass per hour. I always buy a big bottle of water at the airport after going through security because there are times when I need water and the flight attendants are in their seats.

Avoid soft drinks because they can give you gas when you fly, juice is better if you like something sweet. Try to eat fresh fruits, I usually pack a couple of apples and a banana along with some nuts or trail mix.

If it is a longer flight I will take my sleeping medicine too and it does help me get some rest.

As you know it is important keep your rsd leg moving, you can do some exercise for your leg if you have to stay in your seat for a long time. Most airlines have a some exercises listed in their in-flight magazine or some have exercise videos if you have an on demand entertainment unit in the back of the seats. When the seat belt sign is turned off I will try to get up and exercise my leg, I do this while waiting in the bathroom line or going to the galley door areas.

It sounds scary to fly with RSD but as I said I do it all the time and I do ok overall, it can be managed. Don't worry too much about it, just follow some of the tips, find out what works for you and I'm sure you will have just as much fun traveling as I do.

Have a blast in Vegas.

MsL

Last edited by Mslday; 01-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (01-15-2009), buckwheat (01-15-2009), MominPainRSD (01-24-2009)