View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

John,
Your post is what I would have written a few months ago if I were to describe my executive function status, just have to substitute a few of my activities in place of yours. Needless to say I was/am worried. So you have company if that means/helps you! I think I found a way to deal with the situation (atleast for now).

When i was going thru difficult time, job stress was a big issue. So I took time off (one year) from my job assuming that my everyday stress will be less. That was a big mistake. I love what I do, and giving up a job that I am so passionate about (though stressful) was devastating and a constant reminder of PD.This state of mind made PD symptoms worst and that made me more anxious. I was not sick enough to stop working, but not the same as before to work. Caught in a vicious circle and I had to get our of that.

So I decided to get back to work knowing fully well what my limitations are. Now I have a small note pad (paper) and an electronic organizer/phone that I carry with me all the time. I write everything down, inclusive of taking meds, have my husband and daughter write in there whatever they need from me, same goes for my colleagues and my boss at work, I write down or ask them to send a mail which i transfer to my organizer. I have alarms set for every 2h (at work0, reminding me to check my "task files". As far as the bills and appointments go, I have them in my organizers as well as written in a calender in my closet. I synchronized all my bills to 3rd of every month so they all go in one stroke. I set them to be automatically charged to a specific credit card/bank account so my payments are made to one company and if I still forget there is only one penalty! Though it took me a few days to set these things up, its worth it.

As far as memory for studies, when I read a paper, after two paragraphs, I stop and think and write down the summary. If I have to remember information or numbers I make patterns of remembering. For exmaple, my phone has changed now, I still remember my old number that I had for over 10 years. SO for my new number, I created a pattern or associated with a number that I wouldnt forget (Birthdays etc) and use a bit of logic. It may take me a couple ofminutees to remember my number, but I do remember now!

Work related tasks: Once again I write down all the detials of my expts, keep chekcing them as I finish that task. I donot know if this line of processing information would be feasible for you especially for music. All I can say is frustration over inability to do tasks I took it for granted, made my situation worse. A few things I had to let go, like working in the lab setting up experiments, right hand cannot hold test tubes and petridishes and I was becoming hazardous to the lab> I still do but for a short time.
Overall, this sort of organization and getting back to lab made a difference to my psyche, and of course Azilect came at the same time. THis combination is terrific, got back my life, I feel a lot better and the family is happy! On the professional side, i submitted a 5 year grant to NIH which made me feel better about my brain!!! its still there!
I already wrote a long and detailed account, but if you want to talk more just send me a private message.

I hope you figure out what works the best to keep you going.

Girija

QUOTE=jcitron;445745]I've had little "issues" off and on and now things have gotten worse. At first I would forget appointments. I thought it was because of my generally busy schedule with work, school, and piano which I dedicate a good amount of time to, and tend to block out the outside world. I've told the dr.'s office staff to call and remind me, but lately they seem to rely on me to do their job.

I had a regularly scheduled neuro appointment. We went through the usual stuff and in the end I told her about this issue. She is, at my request, scheduling an appointment with a neuropsychologist to see if there are some issues. She had me try to do some simple math in my head and I couldn't do it. I sat there like an idiot for what seemed like eons as my brain churned through the simple subtraction problem.

The outcome will be if there are problems is I will definitely stop working and apply for disability because there is no way I can function in the workplace like this. My two job positions require constant brain power, critical thinking, logic, troubleshooting, real attention to detail, and analysis to be done properly.

So now I sit, wait, and ponder on my future. I'm, still planning on my upcoming storm chase in April which I scheduled late last year, but after that I don't know what I'm going to do otherwise. Maybe this is God's way of telling me it's time to stop ignoring what's going on and face the fact that there are issues, and now it's time to give in and let things be as they may.

John[/QUOTE]
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sasha (01-15-2009)