View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Familuiar Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedough View Post
Hi,
I'm a 44 year old female with major allergies, asthma, fibromyalgia and polycycstic ovary syndrome. I just found out last summer that I had a nickle allergy when I asked why I was breaking out around my wire frame glasses. I got titanium frames this time and it has made a huge difference.

Over Christmas, I have been having a major anaphylactic reaction, swollen tongue and throat, trouble breathing, hives, heart palpitations etc. My allergist felt it was due to the metformin I take for the PCOS and took me off of it. On one trip to my allergist, I picked up a freebie publication on allergies. They had an article on nickle allergies. In the article, it said that if you have a nickle allergy, you shouldn't cook in stainless steel or eat canned goods. It said that the nickle from the cans and pans leaches into the food, particularly with high acid foods. Given the "bucket theory" of allergies (your immune system is like a leaky bucket, as long as you don't add allergens faster than the bucket leaks, you don't react. If you add too many allergens too fast, the bucket overflows and you react), I decided to act on the tip. I got rid of all my canned goods and bought some aluminum pots and pans. (I did some research first, the whole aluminum cookware/alzheimer's connection seems to be pretty well debunked, there is something like 15 times more aluminum in one antacid tablet than you get from cooking a meal in aluminum cookware and diabetes is looking to be the biggest risk for getting alzheimers. Besides, the restaurant industry never stopped using aluminum, so if you eat in restaurants, you're getting it anyway).

Anyway, the result is that my anaphylaxis is steadily retreating. Interestingly, my fibromyalgia seems to be retreating with it. I take a muscle relaxer for it, and I can take anywhere from 4 - 8 milligrams a night depending on my level of pain. Over Christmas, I was taking 8 milligrams and still having pain. The last two nights I've only taken 2 milligrams and had little or no pain. I have never taken that little muscle relaxer before. I've also stopped having trouble swallowing and stopped having symptoms of what I thought were hemorrhoids but now appear to have been internal hives. I'm starting to think that this nickle allergy has been going on for a long time at a lot more serious level than I realized. Has anyone else out there encountered any of this?
Thanks for sharing this Jane doe. Its the storey of my last 4 years and I'm just realizing now that its the damn nickel. Used to get anaphalactic eruptions of swollen lower face every 12 to 18 months for 25 years and then following one of these in 2005 my mouth became constantly swollen (lips, tongue and cheeks). A trip to the Mayo Clinic in Feb 2007 pointed to gold crowns (patch tested but they didn't do nickel) which I subsequently had removed and things seemed to settle down a bit. Don't get the major anaphalactic reactions now but do use Reactine (10 mg) almost daily although I did go through a period from Sept 07 to August 08 with very little of the antihistomine. i've only just started to watch the nickel (utinsels, cooking pots, glasses, etc.) but the diet's all new. I didn't think I could get on a smaller list of acceptable foods as I only eat fresh and mostly organic. just a couple of prepared foods that I seem to tolerate (ones' a cranberry/apricot oat square from Planet Organic-Mmmm good) I'd be interested to hear of recommended foods. Also, I have lost significant amounts of structural fat, particularly on the balls & toes of my feet and palms & fingers of hands. Anyone else experience this and has a way to treat it?
herbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote