View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You're the expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swan View Post
David:

Hate to tell you this, but no one in Minnesota uses tires chains anymore - they are illegal on our roads. But it is crucial to have a good battery and good snow tires help. Mayo Clinic is in Rochester, MN and frequently Rochester has big snows.

We in Minnesota when traveling have emergency food, blankets, etc. in the car. Jumper cables are in most of our car trunks just in case our battery gets weak and won't start the car. At least one can get to someplace to get the battery charged or buy a new one.

If caught in a bad snowstorm stick with the car - do not try to go for help during a snowstorm here! The weather reports here are excellent and it is best to know what is being forecast for any trip that is planned.

Shirley H. in Minneapolis, MN
I think the last ice storm or blizzard we had here in San Diego was approximately 23,347 B.C. during the last Ice Age.

Chains were legal in Oregon when I lived there. I can't imagine driving the steep Cascade mountain passes without them. I know that they chew up the roads and their noise and vibration make them hard to tolerate on level highways.

I'll worry about Billye until we hear from her. That's a long drive under the best of circumstances when you're ill and feeling lousy.