View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Anyone with similar acute onset and chronic course?

Hello all,

I have been dealing with neuropathic pain for 2 years now. It started one day suddenly after I came back from swimming. In the swimming pool I noticed a stabbing pain in my shoulder every time I made a stroke. Then I came home and all hell broke loose with tingling and twitching that started in my hands and quickly spread to my arms and legs over a few days. I also had an internal vibration sensation as if someone turned a cell phone inside my body.
Late on the tingling turned into very painful burning and the twitching stayed.

Over time the burning intensity in my calves diminished but at the same time it spread to my thighs and hands. These days the most painful are my calves and thighs along with my fingertips. My symptoms have always been totally symmetric and get worse *after* physical exercise or stress. If anything I feel better when walking.

I have been tested for pretty much anything under the sun: MRIs of the brain/spine, nerve conduction studies, B12 (was high - 980), diabetes, Lyme multiple times, autoimmune, thyroid etc. - everything normal.

Preceding the neuropathy I had what I would call the worst flu of my life as well as a very stressful life event which I am sure triggered this.

I have seen a few neuros and all of them are stumped. One suggested small fiber neuropathy while the other writes it off due to no autonomic issues whatsoever. My reflexes are normal, if a little bit exaggerated. I am taking Cymbalta and B12 + B1 + ALA + COQ10 + L-Carnitine + Magnesium + multivitamin for a year now.

I have no weakness that I know of, yet my muscles twitch, especially during flareups which happen every 2-4 weeks when my pain reaches very high levels. My symptoms also wax and wane throughout the day. For instance, my calves could be burning terribly around noon while my fingertips could be acting up later on.

Anyone had a similar experience with their condition?

thanks
chamade is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote