View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy RSD after knee surgery -now going to have hip replacement surgery

Hello!
This is my first time here. I had arthroscopic knee surgery on my left knee in 2000 which triggered RSD. Thankfully, I was diagnosed fairly quickly by my orthopaedic surgeon and referred to a Pain Center. It took 2 years and many different treatments/procedures ending with a month long hospital stay in a Pain Rehab program. I was weaned off the narcotics I was taking for pain and also off of use of the cane. Most effective therapy for me was in the pool. As the pain lessened I was able to become more active little by little. But then I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. It took another year before I was able to start working again. I still have not been able to work at a job that provides enough income for me to live on my own. Thankfully I have an older brother who is willing for me to stay in an apartment in the basement of his house free of charge.
In 2 weeks I will be having my right hip replaced due to osteoarthritis. I am wondering if I need to alert my doctor to the fact that I have had RSD in the past. The pain in my left knee is very minimal and with also just a minimal amount of burning sensation. Do any of you have opinions or recommendations for me? Do I need to be concerned about a possible re- occurrence of RSD following hip surgery?
Thanks ahead of time!!
GinnyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote