View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If you still have pain and burning then you still have active rsd. Remission is a complete end of all symptoms related to the rsd.

You MUST tell your doc you have rsd and take precautions. If not, you could find your self dealing with a horrible flare not to mention spread of rsd to the surgery site. From the medical literature I've read, having surgery doesn't have to equal spread and more pain. Someone else on another board mentioned surgery to fix a foot problem that is complicating her case. This is what I told her based on what I've researched.

As for being unable to have surgery, the good news is with the proper precautions before and after one can have surgery successfully with no spread or flare in pain. I've "seen" quite a few people around the web that really needed surgery for one thing or another and were fine. Have an epidural catheter with local anesthetic with or without pain meds at least 12 hrs before the surgery, then have the epidural in for 3-6 days after surgery to prevent a flare and hopefully any spread. When you keep the sympathetic nervous system "normal" it won't spread because the nerves don't flare up. All of this of course means a hospital stay of 3-7 days even for something that might be an outpatient procedure but it sure beats the heck out of what might happen without all the precautions!

You can have your doc do some of his own research as well. He'll like read some of the same medical articles I have. LOL Go to http://www.rsds.org/2/library/articl...ive/index.html and scroll down to the CRPS and Surgery part. There's a few articles there that are good. It's where I got my answer from and just condensed a part of it.

Here is the other thread talking about rsd and surgery that got bumped off the first page.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread59449.html

Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote