View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi there

I have lupus, which as you probably know is in the same group of diseases as RA, plus I have PN. Have you had nerve conduction studies done ? They are electrical tests, which in my case has shown what type of neuropathy I have (sensori-motor axonal neuropathy) and I have them done every couple of years to monitor how my neuropathy is progressing.

If you have not yet had these tests done, then personally I would talk to your neuro about having them done first. I have not had the nerve biopsy - it wouldn't in anyway affect the treatment of my neuropathy, and the nerve conduction studies plus my symptoms chart the progression of my PN so in my case there just isn't really any point.

If the arthritis is causing the neuropathy, then treatment of the neuropathy will essentially be the same as the treatment of your RA, plus of course any additional medications you may need for pain caused by the PN. The mainstay of the treatment of my PN is my lupus treatment (steriods etc) as by supressing my lupus it is hoped to help my PN. Which in my case has not been successful, but one can only hope.

hth

raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote