View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traevin View Post
I've had RSD for nearly three years. It's so debilitating and painful that I haven't been able to return to work and there's no telling when or if that day will ever arrive. My Worker's Comp people are getting fed up with me, mainly because I'm not responding to any treatments and it looks like I might have to get another operation on the same injured knee that led to the RSD in the first place. Long story short, they want to settle.

I haven't received a dollar amount from them yet but I'm thinking that it's right around the corner. My question to you is:

For you RSD sufferers who have received settlements through Worker's Comp, what's a reasonable ballpark figure? Some (or most) of you might not want to discuss this on a forum but perhaps you wouldn't mind emailing me privately.

I'm afraid the insurance company will give me a low-ball figure and because I wouldn't know a good settlement amount from a bad one, I'm hoping that with your help, I can respond to their proposition from a position of strength instead of ignorance.

Thanks in Advance,

Jennifer D.

If Oregon is anything like California, you will undergo an "impairment evaluation" first. That will establish an impairment rating to the whole person based on AMA Guidelines, that then goes to something like an Office of Benefit Determination who then pulls out a chart that is based upon your occupation, rate of pay and age, etc., and then will determine what the value of the case is. That then goes back to the adjustor who will "make you an offer. " Whatever you do, don't let them buy you out of "future medical" care. That has potentially far more value than any settlement. I am not into lawyers, but because of the far-reaching impact that this one settlement may have upon you for the rest of your life, you may want to sit down with one and hear them out.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (01-17-2009), Kakimbo (01-26-2010), loretta (02-01-2010)