View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Thank you ever so much for posting this - I found it really interesting and i'm so sorry that you all have to deal with all of this!

I don't have MS but do have a conditon that is fairly similar in many ways. Like most of you, I found it VERY hard at first to adjust to having to do things in a different way and not being able to go out with my friends like I wanted to be able to.

I was in the denial stage for a very long time but eventually, my Physical Therapist told me that in order to try and get somewhat better, I had to have a positive attitude to try and go through all of the exercises they expected me to do. Eventually, something clicked and I realised that I HAVE to have a positive attitude and try and accept that I have this disease and try and get on with my life the best I can. That's not to say though that I have learnt to accept this disease - I honestly don't think I ever will be able to but I have learnt to try and cope with things in a better way and to have a positive attitude and outlook on life.

The main things that frustrate and hurt me are:

That i'm not able to go out with my friends - that REALLY frustrates me and I guess at times, I feel really bad that I have this disease at my age (13) as I feel that I should be out enjoying myself and having the time off my life but I am stuck at home as I just don't feel well or it is too much of a struggle to go out!!

That I can't remember things - I sort of feel like I am 90 years old instead of 13!! I am forever forgetting things which makes it really hard to concentrate on things!!

That I can't attend a main-stream school and that my friends have sort of forgot about me. I get VERY frustrated when my old "friends" see me and they don't even speak to me and just blank me because I look different to them and can't do all of the things I want to be able to.

That I can't type very well - I am forever having to go back and edit things that I have typed due to problems with my hands!!

There are lots more things that I am frustrated with and that hurt me but they are the main things I think. I am somewhat able to control my problems better but I still get very frustrated and have my bad days. I honestly think though that it is OK to have bad days and complain, just as long as they don't last for a very long time and that you are able to snap out of it!!

My Psychologist has given me lots of exercises and breathing techniques to try and help me come to terms with dealing with this illness and I DO believe that they have helped somewhat. Of course I am frustrated (who wouldn't be!) but I know realise that things could always be so much worse and that in many aspects of life, I am lucky!

Thanks again for starting this thread and I hope that came out right - sorry if i'm rambling, it's nearly midnight here and I can't sleep again!
barb02 (01-18-2009), Blessings2You (01-17-2009), FranksAngel (01-18-2009), Ivy2 (01-18-2009), Jappy (01-18-2009), PolarExpress (01-17-2009), SallyC (01-17-2009), weegot5kiz (01-17-2009), woodhaven (01-17-2009)