View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi cmariano117,

When you have TLE, complex partial seizures are very common. Complex partials do affect both sides of your brain, the hippocampus (which in charge of storing memories) on each side of the brain fire off speedy activity. That's why when one comes to, after a c.p., they have no memory of the event.

Usually an aura warns people that the c.p. is coming. My aura happens only seconds before, which gives me no time to react or protect myself. Some people have auras hours before! I don't know anyone who does, but all literature talks about the aura usually giving people minutes to hours to prepare for the c.p. How one prepares for a c.p., I have no idea.

I'm curious what medication/s you take to prevent seizures? When were you finally diagnosed? It can take a long time to finally find medication or treatment that adequately controls the epilepsy. I do know a couple of people who've had the vagus nerve stimulator implanted. That helps a bit. Of course, surgery is becoming more popular for TLE - as this type of epilepsy is most difficult to control & they can work around speech and memory areas. In many cases, the hippocampus is largely (and completely) removed, since we have another hippocampus on the other side of our brain.

Shez

LTL resected 3/06
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote